THIS HISTORY OF SYKES TRANSPORT
The origins of our general road freight transport company date back to 1959 when the founder, Roger Sykes, commenced trucking operations in Geelong, Victoria. At the time, local deliveries were carried out in a utility and as the business expanded more staff were employed and by 1962 a four tonne tray truck had been purchased. In 1963 a semi-trailer was added to the transport fleet, which then consisted of four vehicles, and the first interstate load was carried.
In 1981 Sykes transport was the first operator to obtain the necessary permits and operate road trains across the Nullabor on our East – West interstate haulage tasks. During those early years of operating road trains across the Nullabor we received a lot of opposition from other transport operators who could not see the benefits for all involved. Although this was over 30 years ago it proves the commitment that has been inbred in to our company to create economical improvements by ways of innovation not only to benefit our customers but to survive and thrive for over 50 years in an industry that many others have failed. Road trains and B doubles are now the norm for any operators doing East – West interstate road transport. In 1998, for economic reasons, most of the road interstate transport operations ceased and David Sykes took over as C.E.O. The company has progressed rapidly since then and currently employs over 45 staff members and has an annual turnover of more than $15,000,000.
Today we provide high quality regional transport, logistics and storage services within Western Australia. We operate from company owned modern large premises in Kewdale, and a Kalgoorlie depot located in the new Broadwood Industrial Estate. Sykes Transport has full third party certified ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 accreditation.